Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #1294
Vic1947

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Had to run to the hardware store to buy more paint brushes to apply the GEM rust converter, as I was doing the application the sun came thru the window and with the door upright and upside down I spotted some more pin holes, I got a small light and found a total of about 9 if them, much smaller but there none the less. Now I hope the pin holes can be welded once the GEM has dried up... Tomorrows task.
I really hate chasing pinholes using a welder... MIG or TIG. Even using a copper spoon to back up the weld, it seems like the pinholes explode into an even larger hole that takes forever to close up. I've been known to thoroughly clean / scuff the backside of the panel and put down a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth or mat to just cover the affected area. Then be sure to brush on a couple of coats of epoxy primer to prevent any moisture from getting between the glass and the metal. As long as you don't need to weld something else in the general vicinity, this is an effective repair that doesn't warp the surrounding metal.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote