View Single Post
Old 11-24-2023, 09:26 PM   #1044
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
You're getting there. That's one of those jobs that it seems like you are never going to get done....

LockDoc
And speaking of that...
On the way home from work Friday the WMB tried to die a couple of times before it actually did. I was only 4 blocks from home at the time when it actually quit. After some quick searching around it appeared that I didn't have fuel. The fuel pressure guage was at zero when the pump was energized. I tapped the regulator and the fuel pump with a wrench and when I tested it again I had about 4 PSI on the guage. It was enough to start the truck and get me the rest of the way home. Once home I continued troubleshooting by jumpering past the fuel pump controller and found that the pump would only run for short periods after tapping on it. My new pump had failed! How annoying!

Since I was in the work bubble I parked the WMB and drove the Stink10 until my first day off which was Thanksgiving. The weather was nice and I was able swap the pump out with the old one (Which I had rebuilt some time ago) before the family all got together. The old pump is running good and we're back on the road again.

It seems like I just replaced the pump and I was kinda of annoyed by the seemingly short life span of the new pump. But after looking back in this thread and comparing the date with my gas record I found out the pump was new on 3/13/2020 and it has been 29,000 miles. So maybe I shouldn't be so annoyed.

After tearing down the new pump I observed that the brushes are worn down (Photo #1 See the brush the green arrow pointing to compared to the brush the yellow arrow points to) preventing positive contact with the commutator. I am also not very thrilled about the amount of wear on the commutator. It appears the copper is soft, as are the brushes.

On the up side the rebuild kit I used for the old pump came with 2 different styles of brushes and the ones I didn't use are the right ones for this pump. Now I just need to clean up the commutator on the lathe and reassemble the pump. I am interested in what the pump side looks like so I will inspect that before reassembling the pump.

It appears if I'm going to keep using these Mallory fuel pumps I will have to plan on rebuilding/replacing them every 25k or so. On thing is for sure I'm going to reconfigure the pump and the fuel lines to make swapping the pumps much easier. Currently the pump is though bolted to the frame and the nuts on the back side are almost unreachable. Thus making what should be a 15 minute job into an aggravating 2-3 hour affair that requires the passenger side rear wheel to be removed and the truck jacked up 18 inches.

And as a side note here is a picture of the debris that was in the pump pre-filter. All collected in the last 29k miles.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote