Thread: 47-55.1 1953 3100 "Honey-do"
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #35
rnrdthefox

Re: 1953 3100 "Honey-do"

At this point, a few modifications need to be made to the Miata handle.

The push rod that attaches to the latch, needs to be extended about 1". Cutting just above the threads (or the other end) at the last straight section and welding in another piece does the job. Also, some final "tweaking/bending" gets a good and solid stroke.

The locking cylinder needs to be rotated 180 degrees to put the lever arm to the outside of the window track. This is easily done, but removing the spring lock and rotating it and replacing.

The attachment point for the push rod needs to be removed from the top of the lever arm to the bottom. It is nearly touching the glass. I didn't want to take a chance of hitting a harsh bump and it cracking the glass. Take the lever arm off, sand the rivet press on the back and punch it out. Re-drill the hole to the diameter of the pin, press it in and drop a spot weld on the back to hold it. Now is also the time to fix any broke nylon washers like I had on the passenger side.

Finally, I had to drill out and re-tap the yellow plastic connector that screws the the bottom of the push rod and attaches to the latches.
Attached Images

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 04-19-2021 at 12:01 PM.
rnrdthefox is offline   Reply With Quote