Thread: 47-55.1 1953 3100 "Honey-do"
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #39
rnrdthefox

Re: 1953 3100 "Honey-do"

One last note on the Miata handle. I didn't have a key, but needed to test the swing of the cylinder. I was able to take it apart and reduce the "keys" from 8 to 4 and make it fit my Bronco glove box key. I've already ordered the new cylinder for the driver side with keys and will re-key the passenger to match. I just needed it functional for mockup.

At this point I should mention that you have to custom bend an attachment rod from the lock cylinder to the latch. Holy crap. This is very tedious and time consuming. But, when done right it gives a very positive feel for both lock and unlock. The passenger latch didn't have an extra attachment point like the driver did because the Escalade only had key access on the driver side so you have to fab both doors the same. I tried doing the driver side with the stock attachment point, but after several hours, used the method I used on the passenger side. Good news, both doors will lock and unlock with the same key even with a dead battery!

Also, careful not to lose the little springs or very small ball bearing indent if you tear into your cylinder to clean it and lube it.

Some pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 10-07-2021 at 06:02 PM.
rnrdthefox is offline   Reply With Quote