Thread: 47-55.1 1953 3100 "Honey-do"
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 12:46 AM   #40
rnrdthefox

Re: 1953 3100 "Honey-do"

Ok, final post for tonight I think.

This weekend was supposed to be final fitment and mockup of both doors and move to the rust repair at the bottoms. Well, I had some issues with the fitment of the driver door. So, instead of fighting several issues, I decided to rebuild the hinges. It was on the list anyway, so why not right?

The first one, I drilled off center. How I got that far off and didn't notice, I don't have a clue. Probably rushing. Well, that sent me down a path that took a day and half of my weekend!

I ended up drilling/milling both out in the end because I could not press or drive them out even with getting them cherry red with the torch. You can see the steps I went through to maintain the bore geometry of both parts of the hinge to do the final drilling to size. At one point, I had broke 2 drill bits, a third one broke off in the original pin and broke a carbide end mill milling the pin out with a hardened drill bit in it!

Boy, did it suck to be me that day. I've found it's best to just shut it down for the day and start fresh the next day when things happen like this. I go inside, sulk and the Boss says things will be better tomorrow. And, they usually are. I was lucky to get both on the driver side done and salvage the hinges. I used brass rod to keep the boar.
Attached Images

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 04-19-2021 at 10:53 AM.
rnrdthefox is offline   Reply With Quote