View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #65
59chev

Re: 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

I haven't posted in a while but I've been super busy on my truck.

As I started to get ready to mount the front sheet metal I realized that I had pushed the wheelbase too far forward, my intended 2 inches forward ended up being more like 3 inches. The core support was ending up right on top of the steering box of the camaro clip. With the 15" wheels bolted up instead of the 14" rollers the wheels looked too far forward in the fenders.

Since I am planning on switching from a longbox to a shortbox anyway I decided the best course of action was to move the cab mounts forward and take that much extra out when I shorten the frame. It sucked but I drilled, ground and pounded out all 20 or so rivits holding the cab mounts and master cylinder bracket on. I ended up mocking up the mounts 1 1/4" inches forward. I'm way happier with the results. Here is the adjusted wheelbase.

I did mock up the a fender initially before I welded in the clip but my mistake was not using the intended wheels and tires. It looked fine with the camaro's stock 14" rims but once I put my intended wheels and tires on it looked wrong. Luckily this lesson only cost me time.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote