View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: NP203 transfer case 101

There are two basic conversion types out there. One locks the existing spiders with wedges and uses a wafer bearing. This was the original Mile Marker kit. Over time the wafer bearing compresses, fails, causing excessive movement and the case hand grenades. The second is a full shaft conversion kit that gets rid of the spiders. It was originally offered by Doug Nash (DNE2) in the mid 80's. I've got one in my 203. It essentially changes the box to a true in or out box. Nash quit making them and the patent circulated around for a while. Mile Marker now has the rights and sells the shaft kit using the same design. I can attest that it strengthens the set up, the weak link is still the chain. Even with the shaft kit that allow the complete front wheel drive to be disengaged at the transfer case in 2wd (no power to drive shaft) bug allows the chain to slowly circulate for lubrication the chain stretches. When stretched enough under loading it will skip teeth, very noisy and disconcerting. Eventually something breaks, a tooth or the chain. When the chain is tight all works well, not a good as a gear driven 205 but I always ran out of chones before the xfer case gave up. I am still running it because the truck is set up for it and replacement 203's are cheap up here. Right now I could get one in good working condition on craigslist for $50.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote