View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Yet another spray paint comparison thread!

Going to start a little matrix for our product comparison. Basically going to write out the tiny fine print that nobody reads, ha ha. So let's meet our challengers:

#0 (This is our control aka the paint we currently like using.)
Brand: KRYLON
Type: Rust Tough
Finish: Semi Flat
Part #: 9203
Source: Pep Boys / O'Reilly
Price: $7.99
Conditions: 40°-85°F (looks like it's more colder weather friendly)
Humidity: "For best results do not use in high humidity" (It literally says that!?)
Prep: remove loose paint or rust with wire brush or sandpaper - does not require primer
Shake: shake for 2 minutes after you start to hear the ball, then shake for 10 seconds after every 1 minute of use
Distance: 6-8" in sweeping motion, releasing spray button after each pass
Coats: "several thin coats" um what? how many is several?
Dry Time: dries to the touch in 30 minutes, can be handled in 2-3 hours
Recoat Windows: additional coats must be applied within 2 hours or after 48 hours (I never understood this)
Comfort Spray Tip: No, which is a good thing, cause you flip the can upside down and spray until it comes out clear and you can reuse it later.
Note: I had one button stick and I literally ran around my backyard from one piece to the next trying to spray it so that I don't waste any paint
Brand: RUST-OLEUM
Type: Matte Finish Custom Shop
Finish: Matte (this turned out to have a slight green hue)
Part #: 263422
Source: Home Depot
Price: $6.68
Conditions: 50°-90°F (I try to paint when it's 70°F outside)
Humidity: below 65%
Prep: remove loose paint or rust with wire brush or sandpaper, clean with soap and water, (well that's vague, what soap?)
Shake: 1 minute after ball begins to rattle, shake often during use
Distance: 10-16" from surface (I spray from a foot away it's just easier to remember)
Coats: apply 2 or more light coats a few minutes apart (sorry but that's kinda vague)
Dry Time: dry to the touch in 20 minutes at 70° F 50% humidity, 1 hour to handle, 24 hours to fully dry
Recoat Windows: Anytime
Comfort Spray Tip: Yes
Note: features an advances spray system that allows you to spray at any angle even upside down - this means you can't spray it upside down to clean the nozzle after use
Type: Professional
Finish: Semi Gloss [Spoiler Alert: this turned out to be too shinny!]
Part #: 239107
Source: LOWE's
Price: $5.98
Prep: remove loose paint or rust with wire brush or sandpaper, clean with soap and water, (well that's vague, what soap?)
Distance: 10-16" from surface (I spray from a foot away it's just easier to remember)
Coats: apply 2 or more light coats a few minutes apart (sorry but that's kinda wishy washy)
Dry Time: dry to the touch in 15 minutes at 70° F 50% humidity, 1 to 2 hours to handle (well which is it?), 24 hours to fully dry
Recoat Windows: 1 hour later or 48 hours ???
Comfort Spray Tip: Yes
Note: twist and pull of valve to clean it in Mineral Spirits
Brand: KRYLON
Type: ColorMaster PAINT + PRIMER Cover Max (paint + primer means you get less paint in that little 12oz can, not good)
Finish: Satin
Part #: 51613
Source: Pep Boys
Price: $5.49
Humidity: below 85%
Prep: remove loose paint or rust with wire brush or sandpaper
Shake: 1 to 2 minutes & during use
Distance: 6 to 8" from surface
Coats: apply multiple thin coats 1 minute between each coat
Dry Time: 10 minutes, handle in 1 hour
Recoat Windows: within 4 hours or after 24 hours (see you have to read this stuff cause some of it is weird)
Comfort Spray Tip: No
Note: to prevent clogs, hold can upside down and spray until clear gas appears (This is a nice feature, not all caps allow you to do that!)
~ UPDATE April 29, 2020 per Pep Boys manager who contacted KRYLON this paint has been DISCONTINUED !!! ~
Type: Stops Rust
Finish: Satin [This also turned out to be too shinny!]
Part #: 7777830
Source: Home Depot
Price: $3.98
Coats: apply 2 or more light coats a few minutes apart (sorry but that's kinda wishy washy)
Dry Time: dries to touch in 2-4 hours, to handle 5- hours, fully dry in 24 (cheaper products just take longer to dry, may not be an issue for amateurs)
Recoat Windows: in 1 hours or after 48 hours (I don't understand this restriction?)
Comfort Spray Tip: yes
Note: pull off spray tip and clean in Mineral Spirits if clogged

Last edited by Gregski; 05-20-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote