View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 AM   #75
cstanley

Thumbs up Re: cutting the dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome8
I have a vision for you guys...how about a GM touch screen nav system? I want to remove the ashtray. Cut a big chunk out as wide as the indent on the factory location and weld in a filler panel smooth it all out....cut it again to the size needed for the nav. Install the radio with stuff from the junkyard and fabed. Polished trim ring all the way around the radio with allen bolts countersunk. XM and gps pucks where the stock speaker would go under the dash. Should work through the windshield. Anyone done a double din size?

that's the way i was going. i wanted that original indent to stretch on down to the a/c controls, gently slanting back out at the bottom. if the po hadn't cut the dash, i'd say leave it stock, but since it's already done, what the hell. it seems it would be just as easy to repair the hole no matter which one was done. i just can't decide whether to use a salvaged (or new) system from gm, or whether i should just build my own our of a computer. more possibilities with the computer, and probably less expensive. anyone have any idea what a unit from gm would cost, new or salvage?

on that note, i understand microsoft may be working on an automotive comp. system, called the "t-box" since so many guys have been building their own out of pcs and mac minis. that's microsoft for you, wrecking everyone's homemade fun...

the tough part is convincing the wife. she's a purist, and wants the original radio. it'll be a hard sell...
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote