Thread: headers
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Re: headers

I was wondering when we would have our next discussion on Headers vs manifolds. Headers are an effective as well as harmless mod. Effective meaning if your engine is build up bad to the bone they are the final equation for getting that horsepower producing air through the pump. Harmless meaning, while a stock motor may not see much beneficial gain, they don't hurt a thing.

As far as looks go, I like the look of headers. They both look clean (except for the factory heat deflectors), but personally I see tubular headers as being the clean option. Also the performance option, for looks. And you are ready for anything else you decide to throw at your mill.

As far as reliability goes it's a draw in my eyes. Personally, I have had more issues with manifolds than headers. Run enough of these trucks stock long enough and you would know. And the problems that 'can' occur with headers I would rather deal with than the problems I've had with manifolds.

It really comes down to what you like. You can't go wrong either way as long as you don't buy cheap crap... not that I didn't get 15 reliable years from a set of cheap headers I had to have installed in Flagstaff on my '71 Custom Camper when one manifold blew out descending the North Rim of the canyon. You would think cast iron would last a lifetime, and some seem to be. But I have to wonder about anything new made in China with what seems to be their inferior metallurgy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote