View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #43
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Engine Blew, recommendations?

AssieinNC I tried to answer all of your questions but the site won't let me post for some reason. Here, I will try to paste it here;

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Pull the spark plugs and make sure the gaps have not closed up due to it not being checked before install or dropped on floor and not rechecked....Yes I will have to do this, also the guy used metric sockets and maybe he broke some porcelain

Make sure the firing order is correct...so many times I have found firing order crossed up...1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2....We checked this 2 or 3 times but I will check it again when I put a new cap on it

Remove the carb and make sure NEW gaskets are in place between carb and manifold....then double check manifold gaskets to the head surfaces are NEW !The carb to manifold gasket got reused because the new one was too thick and the bolts and nuts could not reach.Manifold to head gaskets are new felpro

Replace the fuel filter with a NEW one...Good point, will do

Did the shop install a pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft? GM Perf. crate enginess come with pilot bushing
Did they clean out the radiator?No, but he painted the fins black!
Did they install a thermostat?No but temp is very good all day on the road today
Did they install new heater hoses with new clamps?Just a bypass hose (heater core needs replacement) Yes, new clamps
Did they install new water pump?The one on there was practically brand new, I did opt for a new fuel pump and new fuel hoses connecting the extra fuel filter in-line

The install fee was cheap for a reason...You got that right! he did totally clean and paint the intake manifold and the water pump and some other stuff like the valve covers.

I wont look at an Engine R&R on any vehicle for less than $1000 plus materials....Yeah, the one other quote I got was $1000. He said shop rates were $100/hour Thanks! -BA I hope this posts.

Good luck....
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote