View Single Post
Old 02-24-2022, 03:01 AM   #11
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Re: Project Old Colorado

Back from the dead... The truck sat on the trailer in the garage since bringing it home from Colorado as I had to finish grad school and everything required with that. I learned that while a 63-72 SWB frames are similar, the frame horns and cab mounts are different. I sidelined the shortened 71 frame I have and brought home a 65 LWB with a trashed bed, good 3.73 rear end and a usable 283 / sm420 (which I cant seem to give away) Next I chopped the frame, had it blasted and then had a good friend weld it and added a fish plate and an old ECE C channel brace. In the last week I POR'd everything, installed all new Moog suspension parts on a 72 front disc cross member and added Bell drop spindles with CPP drop springs. I had considered the caster mod, but may use the QA1 front suspension at a later date. In the back I added a QA1 rear coil over kit on a 78 rear axel, disc brakes a limited slip diff and new Richmond 3.42 gears and reinforced trailing arms. The real prize was getting the cab on the frame! Last week my father in law gave me a 454 that I will rebuild and add a EFI kit to, so now I have two 292's I'll have to figure something else to do with. Going to try a Camaro tank with an EFI in-tank pump. My friends cousin has a 63 fleet side bed he wants sell me so we'll see what shape that is in some time next week.

The next week will consist of getting the bed,
ordering the engine rebuild kit,
finding some bucket seats and carpet
pricing AC and EFI
figuring out who still has a TKX .72 transmission in stock
might talk to a painter about adding white to the cab top
Attached Images

SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote