View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #23
SCOTI

Re: '99 OBS CC SWB Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
I'm sorry do I seem to be an idiot? Or perhaps you missed the word "automatic".

For both of you, an Automatic brake bleed is where a "capable" scanner takes over the bleeding process and shuttles the antilock valves while the occupant has his foot on the brake pedal. You will feel the pedal go down a little and stop. Then go down a little further and stop. And go nearly all the way down and then come back up. This is all done by the scanner.

A dealer obviously would be able to do this for you. A highly knowledgeable independent shop also. Since I have my own Solus, I do my own. I had bled my own brakes the normal way for years. Then I finally looked deeper into the 4 books of the shop manual and found the automatic bleed process and have never had a better pedal feel since.

So from page 5-249 in the 98 GM shop manual:

Do a standard 4 wheel bleed procedure
Press the brake pedal firmly and run the scan tool automated Bleed Procedure once.
Bleed all 4 wheels using the standard process again.

I don't understand the influence this process has on the brake pedal firmness and grab but it does. If you aren't doing it, you're leaving a lot of good on the table.

Good luck
First I've ever heard of this & I have 2 long-time buddies that have been employed @ dealerships most of their careers. I mentioned visiting the one @ the Ford dealership he works at (it's within walking distance from where we both live as well). When he wasn't @ Ford, he worked for higher end independent shops so he's familiar w/GM products.

I'll hit my buddy up that's the GM lifer & see what he knows (or can find out).

Thanks for the follow-up & explanation of the 'term'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.