View Single Post
Old 10-31-2021, 11:14 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 4L60E durability.

I should be getting a 1994 Camaro LT1 which is claimed to have the 4L60E Friday. My engine is starting burning a good bit of oil plus a rear main seal leak. So for what I call my sanity I decided to go with a more permanent safe way out of my issues.

My truck already has a LT1 stroked to 383 so it will be a bolt in affair, and start re-tuning the carb again. I have the LT1 running a carb, and distributor. So no opti-spark to deal with. While not bad a few detail things were not well thought out for durability, or ease of replacement.

As much as I want the LS based truck motor. I do not have the time to venture out of my comfort zone. In case something goes wrong. I have the skills, and parts to correct sbc issues. Plus I have a good bit money committed to future things I have to do or just pay for.

I am not going to cheap up the swap, but I will not go crazy either. It will get new oil pan, and valve cover gaskets. Plus a new rear main seal. The only polishing of the turd parts will be a new cam/roller, and valve train combo.

1. So I can reduce my dynamic compression ratio to help with the 10.5-1 mechanical compression ratio. So california 91 octane will work fine for me.

2. Well if I have to spend money. I might as well optimize my package the best I can. So high quality rollers, upgraded rocker studs, roller rockers, and a girdle.

I am not sure where LT1 factory rollers rate in the big scheme of things, but I will research that tomorrow. At lunch or break time.

BTW it is oil or condensate that killed the optispark usually. The water pump drive seal is hard to install, and holds to much oil. Drilling a 1/8 hole keeps it from leaking. The seal on the shaft of the distributor is a another.

Other then that I developed a love for them in 1998 when I got my first LT4 from a dyno test shop. They work great if you learn there eccentricities, but like Richard Holdner says they are a forgotten warrior.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote