View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #10
Six862m6

Re: Original Side Marker Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
To get the blinkers to flash on when the side marker is off and the side marker on when the blinker is off the polarity is switched back and forth. So, nothing you can do, using the LED's, will fix this. As you know the LEDs require a positive on a certain terminal to function.
Now I am not certain how your particular truck is set up. But this is true for some of the trucks. I do like how the factory switched the lights on and off and considered attempting to incorporate it into my 70. I decided I liked the LED more than the alternating lights feature.
I am confident you will need to use the incandescent lamps for that feature to work.
Well, I know I could get it done (all LEDs) using some relays and custom wiring but after learning that only 71/72s blinked from the factory, I think I may just do a simple modification to the side marker socket wiring for them to stay solid and call it a day. As far as how my truck is setup, it has a new AAW front light harness (as well as engine harness and main dash harness) that is unmodified. I have a headlight relay harness hooked to it to take the headlight amperage off the light switch and two splice in wires for the fog relay signal off the parking lights and high beams and that's it.

I'm not even going to cut into the marker light wiring to correct this issue; just going to leave the sockets open, cut the old sockets off my old harness and quick splice the power wire to the original sockets' power wires and the grounds to the body like they were before.

I'd like the flashing feature as well but it would mean even more custom wiring and relays in the engine bay and I think I'd rather just not.