View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #87
mechanixman

Re: Found my Great-Grandfathers 1959 GMC Apache

So Based on what I've read, you say all you need is an alternator and a battery?
Have you come up with a list?
If I were you, I'd....
-replace those two items
-go through all the perishables. For instance: There could be a chunk of fuel line that's deteriorating, and could lead to it leaking gas all over the floor- and that's a best case scenario.
Make sure wires aren't corroded and have insulation the whole length of the wire. You don't want any wire grounding out against the frame or body.
-If that's all it needs to start, let's see a video of it running!!
-brakes. you haven't mentioned anything about steering or brakes?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to see how your wheel cylinders are doing.
-a whole lot of saving money
-a whole lot of metal work
-a whole lot of body work
- finally worry about paint and color schemes.
- worry about the chrome and other trim right before the "final" install. (I'm sure you'll take it off again after that)

Does that sound like a plan? Do you have anything like that written down somewhere?

I've been working on my truck for about 8 months now, and I must have come up with 12-15 lists of what needs to be done at various stages, and what needs to be done before the next project can begin.

P.s. You can find out if you're truck had a heater by looking at the water pump. If it has two outlets for heater hoses to connect, then the truck (or at least the motor) came with a heater.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page