View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #1537
pjmoreland

Re: How about some pics of 88-98 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Great find! I want one like that. I knew when these trucks came out they would have the appeal the 67-72s had at that time once they got that age. In '92 I had a '72 K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper. I ordered a new truck as close to how I would have ordered a '72 as I could. Some 4wd might disagree due to the new IFS front end, but in my eyes these are the last classic trucks. The 21st century trucks crossed over a line of no return, in my eyes. I felt that way when the '88s came out, until I saw them prove differently. I got stuck on '72s because I liked older trucks than that but those were as modern as I wanted. So way back when, I felt '73s were too new. Time changes perspective. The 88-98s seem simple now. The last trucks with just a steel bumper and a grille.
The 88-98s do seem simple now compared to 99+ trucks. Mine even has manual windows. I'm a little nervous about the TBI system on a truck that has to be emissions tested every other year where I live, and nothing having to do with emissions can be swapped out. I can't just throw a Holley Sniper on there. I kind of wish it had a carb. Oh, well. I don't plan on staying in CA long term. On the upside, check out the simplicity of this cruise control system I got at the wrecking yard for $38. It connects to the truck in two places:

1) The orange connector plugs into the fuse panel where it gets power and VSS from the gauge cluster (the wire is already there for the VSS)

2) The black connector plugs into the brake switch. The brake switch already has the receptacle on it, too.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote