View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #25
schovil69

Re: 'Ole Green' - 1970 Chevy C10 Engine Rebuild

Haven't posted in a while on this because I hurt my arm while sleeping some how. Woke up in the night and couldn't straighten my arm. Now, it hurts just to lift my hand depending on how it's oriented. I can limber it up and put it to use but I pay for that the next morning. Been a few weeks now and may need to have a doc look at it.

Using a priming tool I got the oil pumping up to the rockers. Not all rockers were getting oil, though. This, combined with the noise I've been listening to and others reporting issues with these lifters, has convinced me the lifters are the issue. I had a set of Howards roller lifters sent over.

As of Saturday the lifters are removed from the engine. I need to determine push rod length then reassemble. My plan is to use the difference in lifter seat heights between the Comp Cams and Howards versions to get the pushrod length followed by a verification using an adjustable pushrod. The pushrods I just removed are 7.1" long and the Comp Cams roller lifters have a seat height of 2.470". With the Howards roller lifters seat height at 2.661" the pushrods I now need should be 6.909". If this checks out with a good pattern on the valve stem I will use Comp Cams 7631-16.

It's darn shame to have to tear apart this good looking engine. The silver lining here is the engine doesn't need to come out for work to get done.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote