View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #194
ryanroo

Re: 86 chevy crew cab 12 valve swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I put relays on the starter trigger wire, pull in, and 2 on the hold in on my 72. I have done several without relays but am trying to better my work. I feel the wiring and components will last a lot longer using relays to operate them.

If you only use one relay, make sure it is a large one. I believe the hold in pulls 40amps initially and tapers off to 15-20amps during holding. (I can't remember those specs 100% though) Ryanroo probably has them in his storage bank.
i have two 40A relays paralleled on the pull circuit. the Dodge OEM relay is a 70 or 75A. I am using use the coil wire from the AAW harness for the hold coil. the draw on the hold circuit is very low. the huge current draw on the pull is just to kick the solenoid out. once it is moved it takes only a few amps to hold it. i have a relay on my start signal as well, triggered by the original start signal wire in the AAW harness. that relay trigger also kicks the pull circuit relay so the pull circuit is only activated when you are in the start position on the switch. the coil circuit is K/O so it holds the coil once the start signal is released and remains until the ign. switch is turned to off or acc.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote