View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #133
DeputyDan

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavotter333 View Post
It doesn't smoke at all this is the weird thing. Only time that it does is if you are already moving and floor it. You get crap out of the exhaust. whether this is unburnt fuel or oil I can not say. However if you flog any engine this way it will produce something. As for the valves and heads. The valves are all stainless. and the heads are ported polished and every single component of the block is brand new. The mechanic that I took it to even commented on how amazing it went after we adjusted the timing and the only real comment he made was that the carb is not really big enough for this kind of performance motor. I agree that its something to do with either lifters or tappets. and that the oil must be going as the rings have not seated properly, however there is no burnt oil smell or oil smoke at all. Until this banging started and missfiring for the 100 miles that it did go it was really really amazing and sounded like what I paid for. I am not a mechanic and I have spent more than i would like to mention on this beast in the last few months so I am not in a position to ship it back. The builder has been really great however is it time to call it quits.

Is this a sure fire that its toast.

Problem is that I am in New York and the builder is in Bakersfield. So its not like I can just pop in for him to have a look.
Carbs not big enough? For a 350 a 700cfm is getting on the bigger side of what you need.
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote