View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #258
68c10airstream

Re: LS engine swap info

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
There is something to consider if you get a whole truck. I'm pulling the 6.0 and trans from an 03 K2500 right now. I spent the whole weekend and still don't have it out. What an SOB to pull everything. They knitted the power train together with all the wiring and plumbing. Everything that runs to one thing is routed through and restrained to 3 other parts of the vehicle. You can't pull the engine and trans together unless you pull the front diff. The exhaust is in the way of everything. You have to pull the intake to get enough clearance to lift the engine and be able to get at the top bell housing bolt. A 2WD would be a bit easier. If I did this again I'd pull the body off first. It would be easier.
Next time just jack up the front of the body and block it up with 2x4's if it's a suburban or lift up the cab if it's a truck. 90's dodge dakota's with the v8 were terrible until you jack up the cab. You can actually beat flat rate times.

Another trick i do with s10 blazers with the 4.3/700 r4 was when all of the bell housing bolts and converter bolts are removed and you are ready to pull the motor. remove the trans mount bolts (2 bolts) and pry the trans rearward all the way rearward until the threaded bolt holes in the mount become visible and just thread a bolt in the hole to prevent the trans from drifting forward. Now just lift the motor straight up and off the motor mounts. The flywheel just touches the face of the bell housing as it goes by. This makes a miserable job very easy, no need to move the front diff around, no prying and tugging on anything, just lift and separate (like a good bra)!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote