View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #142
-TheBandit-

Re: 4L80E & TH400 Tech.

Questions are just fine! The transmission is of unknown build. I am not pulling the transmission from the car, or at least I don't plan to. I was having some trouble with my 2-3 shift sporadically shifting back and forth at cruise after swapping in the ls engine. I also could not get the car to shift 2-3 under wot and in fact any real throttle would cause a 3-2 downshift even though the kickdown switch is disconnected.. After checking the modulator and governor, I decided to pull the valvebody and check for any sticking valves. I decided to install a transgo 400-pro kit while I'm in there.

But when I pulled off the valvebody, I found the reverse feed had a screw in plug. When I removed it I confirmed air passed freely between the 3rd feed hole and the reverse feed hole, indicating to me the seal was omitted i.e dual feed was already done internally. I put the plug back into the reverse feed and I plan to run that as is, but I will not be able to use the transgo plate.

I also found the 2-3 accumulator piston had been locked down against the valvebody using nuts between the piston and the e-clip. I went ahead and installed the transgo supplied spring and took out all the nuts so it's functional again.

I also found the front servo e-clip was broken and floating around under the spring seat. No idea what that might do beyond preventing the front band from applying. I have never had engine braking in 2nd and I assume that's why. I installed a new e-clip.

I am getting ready to put it back together with a stock separator plate, feed holes drilled however I decide and I don't know whether or not I should block the accumulator feed. Looking at the transgo plate, I think they restrict the flow to the accumulator using a small orifice.

I didn't find any sticky valives in the valve body.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 04-15-2017 at 12:55 AM.
-TheBandit- is offline   Reply With Quote