View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
73kay

53 3100 w/ Dakota Suspension

Hey guys,

Starting a build thread to keep me on track!

History
I got this 53 roller in Texas for $1100 and a running 235 for $300. Super stock and drove it for a few weeks until it needed a rebuild of the 235. Also did a bonded title to get it squared away legally. This was back in 2016. I was able to work on it from time to time and collect parts, until we decided to move from Texas to Indy in 2020.

Drivetrain
I overhauled the 54 235 .30 over pistons, .10 under on the crank, drilled for full oil filtering w/ remote filter, tapped the crank for sbc bolt and used best gasket rear seal. Stock cam and everything else. Fenton headers, and a rebuild carb with electric choke. Tranny is a T5. Rear axle was a 9in, but switched to a ZR2 s10 axle, we'll see if that was the right move. Both might be too long for my truck as I got the slammed bug. axle is 3.73/posi which with the t5 should suite the 235 pretty well.

Suspension
I bought a dodge Dakota custom crossmember from industrial chassis in 2017 which bolted in and allowed me to still use the 235. It has disk brakes, gm calipers, power rack and pinion, and the coil has been cut one loop ~2in drop. I have drop spindles coming soon to lower the front. Rear suspension was stock with leafs pulled, but I just installed the TCI parallel leaf kick which was a 4in drop and I had 3in drop blocks laying around so I threw those in there too. Probably going to raise the bed 3in and c notch the frame a bit.

Body
Cab is decent for a Texas truck, new glass, and needs some light body work, but I just want to drive it first for a while and I will circle back to bodywork. I sold the bed and just bought new. I also have one new front fender and running boards, otherwise she is stock everything else.

Extras
I wanted this truck to look and sound stock, but have some tasteful upgrades like the t5, vintage air a/c, power steering, alternator, classic instrument gauges etc. I installed a new wiring harness from speedway (their basic one and it was perfect). I had to shell out some cash to get the right mounts for all the accessories and a 2 groove pulley, but love the functionality even if it robs a little power from the 235. Steering column is a cheapy from Jegs that I had left over and I have 59 impala steering wheel. Gas tank is a 68 Camaro model that I want to fill via license plate flip. Bed wood is oak which I need to treat once it gets warm out.

Over time it has been sitting without much progress as I worked on other projects like my c10 and k5. Now I am finally focusing on it to get it running this summer.

1953 3100 292 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote