View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #234
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: Project Underfunded / next phase - LSx carb'd to LSx efi

Not much on the truck. I did replace the front wheel bearings and races after just roughly 1000mi. I guess I should have known when they said "made in china" on the side. I bought some Timken bearings...which is what I should have done when I saw what came with the CPP (drop spindles and replacement brakes w/everything from spindle and backing plate to the spindle cap) kit instead of installing them anyway. I knew better...I guess I just had to give them a try though.
I noticed when I drove it to Lowes recently that I had a new or stronger vibration, including a grinding feel in the wheel now...so I jacked it up and pulled the front end apart. Sure enough the inner wheel bearing on the RF was blackened and pitted, and lightly rusty. Evidently the seal was allowing a small amount of brake dust in, then moisture when it rained. The outer bearing checked out OK...until I compared to the Timken set. The difference in effort to spin the bearing in its race was considerable...plus the China bearing was notchy/grabby feeling, not glass smooth like the Timken. Anyway...I pulled everything apart on both sides and knocked the nearly new inner and outer races out of the nearly new rotors and replaced them and the bearings/seals with the good stuff. It had a good "marine grade" grease in there that did seem the harden slightly, but I cleaned it all out of the hubs and repacked the new bearings with some new quality but non-marine grade stuff I picked up.

On the new place...I think I have enough work to keep me busy for a year! On the toys side......I did get a few new ones. 1st came something to cut back the grass that was beginning to get out of hand... a John Deere lawn tractor... a little D140. Was the biggest tractor they had that the mower width (48" deck but was just over 50" total) would still fit in my truck.

Then I needed something bigger...to pull my 5' finish mower, 5' box blade, and 4' or 5' tiller...and to do some dirt work and to build my gravel driveway with. I didn't want a Kubota or Mahindra, or to spend the money on a Deere which actually runs a Yanmar motor. I wound up getting a New Holland Workmaster 35 with front loader. Its actually an LS Tractor underneath which seem to be built OK I guess, has a 5yr (2full+3powertrain) warranty. Guess maybe it doesn't matter as it sounds like they are all built in India now.

here's a pic of a 40...but the 35 and 40 look the same.

I've recently been building work benches for the "shop" with 2x4's, and 4'x8' plywood...1/2" thick lower shelf and a 3/4" upper work surface. Built a 24"x63" and a 32"x96" that fit together in a corner. Not sure if I'm going to cover them with something....or just leave the BC plywood as is. Last one I built still looked good after 12-13yrs, but stayed with the house. Need to build or buy lots of shelving too. Need to get a main door for the 40x40 barn...and considering reworking the structure and roof to add support to hang things...like lifting devices. Once I get that done I can finally add a 2 post lift. Oh....and when I get it sealed up I can bring my caddy home. Bought my dad's old (and was my grandfathers for a while) '84 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Worse part about the whole car is the headliner...well that and the horrible little HT4100 V8 motor that has all of 140hp. May have to swap in an LSx tho.
Attached Images

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken

Last edited by 68GMCCustom; 10-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote