View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
PurdueSD

Re: Lost and Forgotten 51

Got to cross one item off my list today! Hate to admit to the amount of time mounting my tank took though... I started off with 40 gallon suburban tank which i quickly found i didn't care for how far it hung down. Needed a tank with a low pressure internal pump to support the tbi 350 from the donor burb. I didn't have the money to spend on a $800 custom tank and pump, so some research led me to a 20 gallon s-10 blazer tank/pump/ sender from the same late 80's era. I went ahead and picked up the tank/ pump/ sender/ straps new from rock auto for a cool 120 bucks. My main goals with tank placement are safety, ease of remove down the road and getting it tucked up out of sight. I think i managed to accomplish all 3. Spent some time, asked for suggestions and this is what i came up with.

The spare tire crossmember needed to go so, fabed up some box tube to replace it at the rear of the frame. This should also hopefully provide some protection. I had to cut out some access holes so i could get to my rear bed bolts.

With that done and out of the way i can now hack out the spare tire crossmember and start scratching my head about the tank placement.

The idea behind the tank mount was to use the blazer straps to sandwich the tank flange up to the crossmember in the rear and a drop down bracket off of my shock crossmember up front.

I havent gotten the bed back on, but here's a shot after i tucked the bumper. I think the tank hides pretty nice.