View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #1033
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I've been so busy reconstructing one of my garages and it's carport before the rains start I haven’t looked back here. Now I see I forgot to pass on some some information.

First off is a poor product rant. I used the reproduction gasket set made by Repops. (Photo #1 & 2) I only used the the heat core and blower to cowl seal (Photo #2 the two gaskets on the left side of photo. I believe the rest are for inside the cab.)

All of the gaskets I used were too small and had to be stretched to fit or I had to use silicone to seal the areas the gasket didn't seal as I mentioned above.

The blower to cowl seal ring was about 3/16" too small to fit fit on the blower flange. I tried to glue it with contact cement but it wouldn't stay put. Fortunately the seal is sandwiched tight enough by the heater box that it seems to be staying in place.

The heater core gasket was also too small. It had to be stretched and then glued in place. It was easily a quarter of a inch undersized. Photo #4 shows the gasket taped in place and the arrows show where the gasket should lay. I was pretty sure I would break the gasket trying to glue it in place but I got lucky. I started by putting contact cement on two of the opposite corners and then set them in place. After they were dry I did then glued the remaining corners. Once they dried I glued the remainder down. It worked okay but one corner of the first corners came loose while I was stretching the second set of corners in place and didn't go back exactly where it should have been. (Upper left in Photo #4) but it should work. It's better than no gasket at all which is what I had before. Unfortunately I won't know if it fails. Maybe out of sight and out of mind is okay for this.

Did you coat both surfaces with contact cement and let them dry to the touch before sticking them together? I installed a lot of formica counter tops in my day and that was always the recommended way to use contact cement. I still use that method on everything I glue with it.

I have also installed a lot of rubber running board covers on antique vehicles and you do those the same way.

Like you said, once you get them bolted up the gaskets can't go anywhere.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote