View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
Bigdually

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
nice clean start

the rear spring hangers dont look correct to me . they look like c-10-c30 style hangers and someone has used them for this application and there not designed to be slipper hangers ether . so be sure and check this out on your build up .
Thanks!

They didn't look right to me either, but after some research it turns out that at some point it was shortened, perhaps with the idea of making a pickup out of it because it was EXACTLY the right length for the axle to be centered under the wheel wells of my bed. Whomever did it simply knocked out the hanger rivets and moved the rear end forward on the frame rails, and to get pinion angle close they moved the rear ones upward. They're the same as I've seen on lots of other medium duty GMs, a rear slipper hanger with a bump pad and a bolt below to keep the rear end from falling out should the rear of the frame be raised. The front ones do have an eye also, the tire blocks it from being seen in the picture that shows the springs

They DID, I noticed, leave the overload bumpers off. On this rig I highly doubt I'll ever be near needing them though

Last edited by Bigdually; 01-03-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote