View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #30
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I decided to get the cab unloaded into my garage, and see what I could do. I was a little surprised how light it was. We used an engine hoist or a tractor dump bucket loading it, but I unloaded by myself manually. It slid out of the bed, set one side down, then tipped it up and had the truck roll forward a bit and set the other side down. No problem.

I have the cab corner and all the new rubber on hand, working on getting a tunnel hump patch so I can have a low hump in it. I think I found an underdash harness for an automatic and gages truck. I will need new heater vent hoses yet. And I'll probably order a new gage bezel that's nice and shiny.

It was a manual tranny cab, I have an auto, so I got the clutch pedal out. I found one more spot of putty and got that cleaned out. Started wire wheeling the gutter grout stuff out, it's all dried out and cracked. There were a couple body mount rubbers on it that I needed a sledge to pound the bolts through, no damage underneath. I cleaned those up with the wire wheel and primered. I got the kick panel vents cleaned out, yucky stuff, but the metal is good.

Then there was the sand from the blasting. It was everywhere. I concentrated on the kick panel area and the cab floor supports, rockers, etc. The cab is laying on it's back side for now, so I'll blow out the area below the rear window when it's upright again.

After really looking this thing over close, I'm fairly certain it is all original. There are no weld repair joints, looks like original spot welds on everything. Other than the rusty floor board and one cab corner it's in very nice shape. I looked down through the inside of the rockers and there is just a start of surface rust on one side. Definitely a good foundation to start with. I think I can get a small wire brush down there on a rod and clean it up some, then spray some rust preventer or wax in it.

Of course there are pics:

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-27-2010 at 07:40 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote