Thread: 4WC question?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
1976gmc20

Re: 4WC question?

I've looked at the Capri cowboy camper really hard, but you can't quite stand up in it and to my knowledge they don't make a pop-up (?). We have a long bed pickup so there is plenty of space to the rear of a cross ways bed. I think something like a Cowboy camper with about a 4'x4' pop-up in the rear half (not the whole roof) would be just about perfect so you could have a spot to stand up to cook inside or just pull up your pants. No need to stand up where the bed is anyway.

I've seen the Rayzr non-cabover stand up camper but only in a short bed. There's also an outfit in AZ ("Rodeo" ?) that makes a non-cabover slide-in. Pretty good "wedge" on the front for aerodynamics but still pretty high for getting under tree limbs. I don't want to tear up my outfit but I want to be able to get back into some pretty lonely places to camp.

Our current topper is about as tall as your pop-up is closed, but it tapers from the sides and front. We have a nice big bed in it but plan to cook outside because there is only a 2' footwell in front of the tailgate. But maybe someday we might take a longer trip and want just a little bit more comfort. Would be nice to get up early and make coffee without going outside.

Quote:
One thing to note, being a smaller guy than me Larry has been known to just open the door and stand on the rocker and reach up to the front latches.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how much of a contortion that would be?

I wish someone would make a non-cabover pop-up that just hinged at the front and provided standing room at the back. Remember those old VW van pop-up roofs?
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote