View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #58
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
That is true. From what I have gathered, some of the 283s were the greyish color, but there were some incidences where folks had orange 283 engines, too. Can't explain why that's true, but there's quite a bit of discussion on this site about that. The '66 327s were a greenish color (alpine green in spray can form). If you can duplicate your stock 283 color (whatever one it came with) that would be too cool.
I had every intention of matching the original scheme on this engine but to be honest other than the plain jane description of blue/grey I have no idea what the color looks like so that's why I decided it couldn't hurt to use GM blue. Everybody and their mother paints their SBC orange and I wanted to be different without doing something crazy like grabber green or something I wonder if anybody has a pic of what this "blue/grey" color looks like and is it available?

Here's the link to the article I told you about
http://www.1954advance-design.com/We...ineColors.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc View Post
Sweet dude! i cant wait to see that baby all painted ready to go back in!!
Thanks man, I'm pretty excited too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Cool progress so far. I like the build it cheap and drive it attitude. Mine was a runner, and I do have plans for her, but for now it is just enjoy driving her and do what I can when I can. So far so good. With the paint that far gone, I vote cover it up and make it one solid color. If for no other reason than protecting the sheet metal from rotting away, keeping rust off it with CLR is WAY too much work for my taste. Either way, I'm subscribing for sure.
Yeah, on the body paint issue, I'm still mulling that one over. My local friends all suggest slapping some paint on it. A friend of mine who owns a local body shop said to just get some tinted primer and shoot it. The only peeps trying to say keep the patina are on this board and most of them live in Cali or Arizona in the dry desert, low humidity where the rust isn't too bad. I did a test of the CLR on my hood and with so much paint gone the surface rust returned in literally hours. So I don't know. You're correct it is a PITA to keep that patina (without rust) especially in our 80%+ humidity environement here in OK.

The main thing is that I can neither afford the time or money to spend on the body work this ole gal needs. So i just planned on running her with dents and dings anyway. If the rust wasn't so bad I wouldn't even consider covering the original paint. So far there is very little actual rot on the truck but if I let the rust continue it'll eventually eat my poor truck alive, so I don't have much choice but to do something to it.

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote