View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 02:03 AM   #5360
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Being Awake since 03.20 sucks.

Stripping the MX5 donor - Part 2

When we started stripping the donor, @nickwheeler told me that getting out the wiring loom and the dash etc out would take longer than the engine and gearbox.

Keep in mind that neither of us had ever stripped one before, so a lot of mini-dead ends, fighting parts, and trying to remove parts that maybe did not need to be removed.

Like the exhaust down-pipe to where the catalytic converters been cut out.

So Nick landed by 9.45 and a coffee and chat later, we were going at it.

I had opened the shop by 08.00 anyway and moved some stuff about already.

It was a long day really, and pics all look the same, but we were busy all day and again, some jobs were a nightmare.

Including setting fire to the car, what a stinker that was too.

ECU hidden in the footwell behind a rusted down footplate, and all the fasteners rusted to hell.

Captain Grinder to the rescue.

Speaking of useful tools.

The strip light did duty all day for us, lighting up the interior as we went along.

I managed to get the steering wheel, airbag etc off without hurting myself.

That’s a lot of clever stuff right there.

Nick kept reminding me, we were fortunate that it did not have to go back together there.

And we took a brief respite to go offer up the clocks to the Rezin Rockit dash.

Looks like it should work.

Then back to the struggle, which was real.

Marking the loom clearly as we went along since starting to remove it all the day before yesterday made a ton of sense.

As does plugging as much of it back together again before stashing it away.

Eventually leaving us with this lot, plus the engine loom reattached to the engine etc.

This pic taken by 4.30

By 5.30 this was the scenario…..

Time flies when there is a lot to do.

6.15pm

And having gone back like a drunk wanting to get one more kick in into the guy on the ground, Nick and I had pretty much run out off stuff to do and it was getting cold again.

But we went back to remove the wipers, arms and motor as, if you recall, I had removed the screen and 3 original wipers months ago.

I still need to figure out if I can run the final car through MOT without wipers if the screen can be folded down onto the bonnet, in effect leaving it without a screen.

So by 6.30 this happened…………..

Leaving us with this.

It was a long, rewarding day.

Tools packed away, coffee, warm up and more chat, planning and scouring Kitcar Solutions website for bits I will need next, like a pair of rubber gearbox mounts.

For today I have to remove the fuel pump, sender unit and raise the rear to get the propshaft out.

Then swap around all the piles of car, parts, scrap before Christmas.

The MX5 fuel tank seems inaccessible so another plan will be made.

Not removing that rusted rear subframe.

Later gang.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote