View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
BlouDon

Re: 59: Electronic ignition upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Be careful with that axle gearing. Although your cruise RPM is nice your first gear has some seriously long legs. I am not sure that you will be to happy with it if you have any hills from a stop or if you ever use the truck to haul anything. Don't forget this also has alot to do with driveability in parking lots. Your graph shows ideling in first gear at around 7mph. Not to mention your motor does not make a ton of torque to start with. You may be better served with a 5spd from a holden that has OD and keeping your rear gear.
Your points noted and valid. However, cruising is my main consideration. I will report truthfully on 1st gear experience. I've decided to commit to this conversion because I am not really keen to change engine/transmission combo's although a 350 / 700R4 combo would have been very nice. I have exactly that in my C10 so that itch is scratched.

This truck will never again haul / tow anything and parking lots will be the exception.

Quote:
your motor does not make a ton of torque to start with
I don't understand this statement. I my view, torque is THE ONLY THING it does do!! ???

Chev: '70 C10 (350 V8 / 700R4 ) & '59 Apache ( 235, 3-sp )
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440(EFI'ed) / 4L60e
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '74 E-type V12 Convertible & '80 XJS V12
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote