View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #6
LT7A

Re: SPID Cleaning/Restoring/Preservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I would leave it alone, original, and in the envelope, and have a reproduction one made.

The below person does the 67-72s, I do not know about squares but someone must do them.

http://outintheshop.com/2.html

I realize that people frequently offer alternatives to what the question is about as opposed to an actual answer and that is what I have done, it can be annoying. So I would say that if you really want to restore your original SPID I would take it to a conservator. If you cannot find one, most frames shops could provide you with a contact.
I appreciate your thoughts on this, along with the other folks who have made suggestions. Clean up, fix, and restore is my mantra for this truck though. Not going to spend multi-tens of dollars, haha, for something I already have. It was originally going to be a parts truck, so it's not going to be a concourse restoration. I drove it home 200 miles from where I bought it and halfway home decided it was too nice and ran too well to pull apart though. And it's optioned quite nicely, so I thought it would be worthwhile to put the SPID back into service. So what I'll do is start cleaning it up, and I can report back here on what works. Budget limitations also rule out using a conservator. But I'll try to stop short of doing any damage, so that if I ever wanted it professionally restored, it would still be possible.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote