Thread: New C50 Owner
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 AM   #45
STPETEBLUE

Re: New C50 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
My best estimate on a truck like yours including the extra weight of the Dump Bed would be at least 9,000 Lbs, if not a good amount more. If you could remove the Stake Sides easy enough, that would help to keep the weight down. That's not a guarantee now, just my best estimate. I've driven a few across the scales.
Thanks. I think our collective estimates are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Never had it on a scale, but I think I used to figure my 1965 C-50 with the homemade loader and log bolster and two wheel army log trailer as being about 10K empty. If that was low, then I was hauling a heck of a lot more gross than I thought I was

I figured my cab & chassis which was a shorter wheelbase (but a double frame) than yours at about 6K. I suppose your 16' dump bed could be another ton.

Like "Bill" suggested, you could take off the stake sides and put them flat in the back of your pickup. It doesn't change the total weight but puts more weight on an axle that has working brakes, plus it just makes the C-50 look smaller

A late model 3500HD is basically a medium duty truck these days; it's basically like towing like. I know the newer pickups make my 1989 K1500 look like an S-10!

I think you could do it fine as long as you took it easy, but then I'm in Montana where we get away with all sorts of stuff. Back your way the HP and POE (if you have to stop) might think differently.
Things are tighter in GA an FL, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdirect View Post
I would expect your truck weighs around 9,000 empty. I live about 4 hours South of where your truck is located.
Thanks. Do you own a trailer? Wanna make some money?
STPETEBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote