View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #100
darrellyates

Re: LS1 swap. What oil pan did you use?

The truck I'm building has an aftermarket frame (from Scott's). It requires an "F" body pan, or the camaro pan. It's got the shallowest (is that a word?) front, and yes, it's a 5.5 quart pan. As long as you're changing the oil, I don't think that's a big deal. I'm running it on the low HP 6.2/LS3; and the corvette pan that came on the crate motor didn't work either. I say corvette, it could be a cadillac pan, I'm not sure. Please realize I don't race the truck, so just remember that figures into my opinion here.

I had a truck pan on a previous build, which fit a factory frame (lowered) OK. The pan did hang below the cross member though. I wasn't in the weeds, so I was OK.

Guess it depends on your build. Summit has an "F" body pan kit, with the pan, tray, and pick up tube including gasket. Think it was slightly over $230? Don't really want to remember... Worked though. I agree that best idea is to stay with a GM pan.

With the frame I have, I also didn't have room for the factory exhaust headers. I went with a set of "shorty" headers on e-bay. They work fine but I had to go to 135 degree spark plug wires. I'm also running fire socks over the wires just for safety.

Good Luck with your build!!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote