View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #168
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Spent the day outside or in the garage. First I had to move my parts blazer. It's been sitting in my neighbors driveway for over a month. I couldn't park it where I wanted to because the snow was too deep. But it's moved to a friends place under his A frame hoist set up. So when the time comes I can lift the tub off and get it parted out, swap the tub to my Jimmy, etc. etc. That took a few hours.

Then I warmed up the garage and put on even more putty and did even more sanding. As far as I'm concerned, the back side of this cab is about as straight as I can make it. It's really surprising how unflat the flat areas of these cabs are. Like below the window, it looks flat, but it actually has a slight depression in it that runs all the way across. So just fixing the ends where the dents were wasn't enough. I had to mud it all the way across so it would be flat all the way across. The corners of the cab, behind the door, it looks like a nice even turn in that metal, but it's not. There are flatter spots, etc. Now I know why these things cost so much for body work and repaints.

If it was an easy scuff and shoot job, no problem. But if you have to fix anything, it just spreads to everything. Then it just depends on how straight and smooth you really want to make it. Anyway, couple pics of the days work. Did a bunch of cleaning up after the sanding. I was thinking about putting some primer over it finally, but I need to pick up some fittings for the new gun and get it set up the way I want it. Maybe tomorrow, if not, then maybe next saturday.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-07-2010 at 01:07 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote