View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
lupo

Re: Por 15 need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
Doing frame off on the K5 - everything besides the axles is getting powdercoated - didn't want to do the axle because I didn't want to pull the gear set out ( have no clue how to reset up).

Anyhow - full axle tear down so decided to paint with POR 15 - cleaned everything with their degreaser/clean - then metal prepped

coated first coat with POR 15 rust preventer then went over that with the POR high build primer - to flatten out some of the brush marks left from the first coat - it worked and looks good

Issue - today went to put their TOP COAT on but its so thick - consistency was between a tar and a thick latex paint. Couldn't get the paint to lay flat and not have runs in it. Looked horrible so used Acetone to remove what I could.

Then tried to thin it with Xylene - that thinned it but then it wouldn't cover and still had tons of runs in it.

At this point I want to throw that stuff away and go a different route on the top coat

WAHT CAN I DO ....

thanks guys
I wrote the original Tip Sheet for that product 33 years ago. Suggestions, that product is a moisture cured urethane. Urethane reducer is the proper thinner. lacquer thinner will retard the cure and in some cases an oily film wiil develope.When brushing and brush marks appear use a dry sponge brush to swipe them out. These type of pants work best with multiple thin coats. The silver will provide you with more protection than the clear or the black the aluminum pigment is what cuts off the oxygen. To rectify your problem sand it down with 220 , wipe it down with the appropriate thinner and then top coat it. It looks like you thinned the topcoat too far for it to be of any use. I hope this helps .
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote