View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #22
LT7A

Re: Best compound for original paint?

My own approach is that I would rather retain as much paint as possible. At the risk of stating the obvious, when the original paint is gone, there's no getting it back. I think some of the examples here speak to trucks where the finish coat is worn through to the primer in quite a few places already. I want the process to be something I can do once a year without concern. I realize I may not get all of the oxidation off the first time I do it or have an immensely shiny result, but I won't hesitate to do it year after year for as long as I own the truck. Getting it as clean as I can and adding clarity and then protecting it is my approach. So I will put in another vote for the McGuire's number 7. Multiple applications with terry cloth will remove some paint, but will condition the paint that remains. From there, if needed, the ultimate compound that you have has worked well for me. After that, it's just a matter of protecting it with whatever wax or sealer you like best. On any paint without a clear coat, I only work by hand. And while I'm at it, backing up to the beginning, I first use an iron fallout remover which immediately deepens the color and adds clarity by removing decades worth of embedded contamination. Then I use a clay bar to remove contamination that is stuck to the surface of the paint. In my experience, each of these steps adds to the vibrancy of the paint. From there I like the McGuire's number 7 for conditioning and then finishing it out like I talked about above. Even if the paint doesn't end up shiny, the wax or sealer will add luster to it. Good luck!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote