Thread: Carburetor CFM
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
72SB

Re: Carburetor CFM

OP

either will work. FWIW my 357 (BPE crate motor) was dynoed (411HP/413TQ) by BPE using a 600 CFM. I used my Eddy 600 (1406) I had on my 327 which worked fine. The only thing I did once on the 357 was jet up one size based on tuning findings.

The 500 "may" have to be either changed with metering rod & or Jet as would the 650. Very common tweaks to any carb. The Eddys are basically the Carter AFB design. For me dead simple to work on. Edelbrock makes tuning kits (metering rods, stepper springs & jets) specific to each carb for this purpose

If it was my 400, I would put on the 650.

Get the timing, including VA, settled before making any carb changes on any motor/carb combo. Not only how much timing the VA provides....it typically needs to be controlled (stop plate) but when VA comes in (adjustable VA). Crane and Accel used to sell the adjustable VA/Sop plate kit. Now just the VA, you need to make your own stop plate or at least put the piece of vacuum hose on the VA rod to reduce its movement if it provides more than 10-12 degrees of advance
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote