Thread: 47-59 49 Suburban
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 11:08 PM   #15
d4hartley

Re: 49 Suburban

Here's another long-awaited update. Not much progress but some is better than none. I removed the windshield, cleaned up and painted the dash but I need to sand and redo the dash.

I also cleaned up the frame, got rid of all the resident spiders, and painted in so it looks better.

Suspension wise, the front is together, steering rack is in, and with the drop spindles she is going to sit very low. I removed the rear axle, it's a 55-59 rear end with 3.90 gears. Replacing brakes and bearings and it's going to go back in with a second hand TCI rear leaf kit.

With where I think ride height will be, this is what the wheel I have look like sitting in the fender. Hoping it won't be too low. Might have to end up going to a regular spindle.

Engine is pretty much put back together. I have a terminator harness for it that will get installed soon once I decide where I want the battery to be. I am pulling out the 4l60e in favor of a T56 6 speed I picked up. Might try and do a hydraulic clutch setup for ease of install.

I also fit the mustang gas tank under the back and need to research routing of the fill tube. I don't really want it going into the trunk if I can avoid it. The tank itself fits really well.

Here is a bonus picture of the overall progress. Still have a laundry list of things to do and I'll update later.

d4hartley is offline   Reply With Quote