View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #22
lil hoodlum

Re: 1968 327 reubuild, vortec heads or not?

So today I was able to stop by the machine shop and speak to the builder about the motor.

I told him my cocerns about having to use the premium gas and that I was wanting to avoid that. I told him about the 72cc combustion chamber heads that I am thinking about using. He plugged the numbers into the computer and said it would bring my compression ratio down to 8.7:1 or he may have said 9.0:1. Anyway he said it would bring the compression ratio down and I should be able to use regular gas and that he still thought it would be a good motor. He said he felt the 72cc heads would be a better choice.

So, my next steps will be to figure out what to do with the Vortec heads. Hopefully Jegs will take them back or will give me credit in exchange for the heads. If they will I will purchase the 72cc ProMaxx heads from them.

Or another option the builder said they would rebuild a set of double hump heads. He said they have plenty in their storage unit to choose from.

I feel better about the new direction the build is going as I really have my heart set on using the oil fill intake. I would be even happier if the double hump heads are pre '69 as they won't have the accessory holes in the head. Yes, I allready have the correct exhuast manifolds and alternator bracketry along with the correct pulleys and short water pump.

I will say though that I thought the motor looked badazz with the Vortec heads bolted on.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote