View Single Post
Old 04-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #10
JPBrecheisen

Re: T221 Rubber mount source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
I’ve been told the rubber ones are much quieter. Tried swapping in rubber, but made some other changes at the same time, so couldn’t tell if it helped.

Recently switched to MT90 gear oil, no real change in noise level, but figured it would help with heat. It does make it easier to shift though.

So are you saying the 85/140 quiets down the noise level? Never thought to try that. Thanks for the input

Tom
I'm certain the rubber does make them a little quieter in theory. In my personal experience with my trucks, it's not a huge difference. Other s experience may vary. I had put 85-140 in one last summer and that made it run notably quieter.

I also spent a lot of time getting all the drive shafts vibration free through balancing rebuilding or replacement. Eliminating as much high frequency vibration helps to reduce the noise level also (if you have any). The shifters won't rattle/buzz at all when they are right. I mention this because most my trucks did that in the beginning.

I've heard that MT90 is best for the synchros in the old transmissions. I should do that too.

I will add that all the motor and trans mounts were replaced with OE rubber to include cab mounts. It all adds up to keep the noise out of the cab. They'll never be quiet but it helps.

Jonathon

Last edited by JPBrecheisen; 04-02-2023 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Additional information
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote