Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 02:19 AM   #1154
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

The last 4 days have been rain city, coupled with the body shock of going back to work and basically being trashed for a few days no work done to the truck.

After 4 days back at work I was able to swing a vacation day today LOL! all morning and afternoon no rain in the forecast so I couldn't pass it up.

I cut out more of the floor enough to determine the cab support is really solid so I wire brushed it and put a coat of Por 15 on it, will do a second coat tomorrow. I know the floor has some pitting but I cant ice pick thru any of it so i'm electing to leave it, i'll scrape each pit thoroughly then cover with Por 15

I found a small thin spot in the lower A pillar, about the size of my little fingernail, so I can reuse the original after I repair the small area.

I cut and fitted the inner rocker section into place and located it with a couple screws, then did the same with the inner kick panel, I can get ether of these between the floor support and A pillar but I cannot figure out a way to squeeze the two of them in at the same time, I have one more idea to investigate tomorrow, it would involve slightly bending the forward flange leg of the cab support forward then bending it back after the inner rocker and kick panel is in place, the only other option I can think of is the usual lower A pillar removal.

Went and bought some 16 gauge sheet and started fabbing some 90 degree angles to start rebuilding the firewall, I really wish I had a real breakform so I could do angles closer together, looks like i'll have to weld one angle leg to another to duplicate the firewall flange lip, more time, more heat.....
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote