View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #35
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I've determined that there are very few people who will actually do restoration work. I had to bring the wifes truck in for re-glueing the driver door trim on. I talked him about this cab and he said I should just glue the floor pans in. I had thought about that before, but the kits can be pretty spendy. He said I could borrow their gun, I just had to buy the glue. He said they hardly weld anything anymore, they glue on whole bedsides and have never had a problem. After doing some research, I'm comfortable with it. A lot of manufacturers are going this way also. For those purist restorers and all weld body guys, lets just wait and see how this goes.

So I am going this route on the floor pans. I started with the driver side today. I got the patch panel cut to fit in place the way I want it. I'm using self drilling screws to hold it in place. I will run a bead of glue along the support rails and around the outer edge, then set it in place for curing with the screws around the edge, and some good sized rivits on the supports. I predrilled the holes in the pan for the rivits. Once I glue it and get it set where I want it, I just need to drill the holes through the support rails for the rivits and lock it down. I'll probably remove the screws after it sets, but maybe not.

I can say this though. I'm a happier person today knowing it's one more thing I'll be doing myself, and that I made some good progress today. Driver side is completely fitted, passenger side is about half way there. I also got the low hump patch bolted in, except the rear bolts. Those are kind of hard to get to right now. Once the floor patches are all fit up, I just need to pull them out and clean the parts to clean bare metal where the glue will be then put them back in.

Wish me luck, should be done with these in a week or 2.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-27-2010 at 07:42 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote