Thread: Frame 72 K10
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
skip72

Frame 72 K10

To start I hope I've posted this in the correct section.

I have always wanted a 70's short bed 4WD and well I found what for all intensive purposes my dream truck. 1972 SB step side, 4WD, 350 with a 4 speed. Before buying I gave the truck what I felt was a thorough inspection but after having it for a month or so I am realizing the frame had more issues than I initially thought.

There is rust, as expected for my region of NE Tennessee, but far more than I had initially suspected. After loading the truck with firewood the other day I crawled underneath to inspect in order to ensure there were no issues and well, one cropped up. An already present rusted area of the rear frame, just before the front leaf perch, had cracked from approx center frame to the lower rail. Needless to say I unloaded all the wood and gingerly drove it home.

This evening I was able to remove the bed only to realize my rust issues were far more extensive than just one crack, I found several areas with what I would call significant structural compromise including all 4 leaf perches as well as to the rear cross member and the tail end of the frame.

I realize I have no pictures at the present moment; however, I can provide in the near future, but I do feel my frame is for lack of a better term FUBAR. The front clip is nearly completely sound but the rear I'm afraid is beyond repair. Now to my question(s)...

1. I have searched for companies that may provide a new replacement rear clip as I would certainly be more comfortable with this option but have been unable to find anyone who produces an OEM style rear clip for the 4wd short bed C10s (only rear clips designed for lowering or the LWB to SWB conversion).
2. At what point does a person decide that removing rotten areas and welding in reinforcing plates is no longer an option (I have a very close friend who is a professional welder with many years experience so job quality/safety would not be an issue).

Is there someone out there that provides this product, or someone who may have a rear clip available within my region (East TN)?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the world of these classic vehicles but thoroughly committed to turning this truck into a something that I will use and enjoy for many years.

Thank you in advance
skip72 is offline   Reply With Quote