View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 08:27 PM   #252
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

The next step in getting this driveline mounted in the frame is installing the torque converter into the transmission. I bought this unit quite some time ago. So long ago, that I don't even see this model on the manufacturer's website anymore. I decided to go with Circle D Specialties. This company came highly recommended, especially for my specific build. Customer service was great too. I called and talked to Chris Ostendorf. He was full of great information. Based on my specs he was able to recommend exactly what I needed. It was a special order but it only took 4 weeks to get it. What I received was a 05D-09-07-2A HP Series Single Billet 278mm converter. This converter is 11 inches in diameter making it about an inch smaller in diameter than factory which is where most of the higher stall rpm comes from. It has some internal tweaks such as anti balloon hub plate with integrated bearing retainer, re calibrated impeller fins and hand TIG welding for reinforcement. This converter is rated around 550rwhp. However, I chose to upgrade to the billet front cover which brings the holding capacity up to 750whp. Last, I went with the 2A, 3000-3200 rpm stall speed for the most performance increase. Here it is in all of it's glory...

Before I installed it, I double checked all of my dimension to ensure this thing was the proper fit. Everything looked good there. Circle D recommends pouring a half quart inside the converter prior to installing onto the transmission. Using a funnel, I poured a little at a time. Each time, I spun the converter clockwise and shook it a little so the fluid could force air out. This is considered priming. Once I got a half quart in there, I carefully slid it on to the transmission. Some people say you will hear three clicks when it's installed completely. The correct way to know is by measuring. The distance between the converter mounting surface and the front edge of the transmission mounting surface should be 1.125". This is exactly what I ended up with.

The last thing to do for tonight is loosely install the transmission mount. Like the engine mounts, I went with polyurethane. This mount actually came with the CPP transmission mount that I already installed. Judging by the part number, I think it's an Energy suspension piece. I already had this nickel plated, so it was ready to install. The kit didn't come with bolts to mount it to the transmission, so I used some leftover ARP bolts. Will torque these later once it's installed onto the frame.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote