View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #152
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Hello, my name is Mike and I am an idiot. It has been a couple hours since I was last an idiot. I realize the error of my ways and am trying to get by day to day without displaying proof to the general public, that I am truly an idiot.

Whew! Now I feel better. Confession is good for the soul right?

Anyway, the lack of oil pressure has been bugging me since I knew about it. I thought I had it figured, but it just didn't seem right. What bothered me was that even with the gage line disconnected, it would not flow oil through the line. I double checked that the line was not plugged. I looked at the bare block in the garage, to see the oil passages. Fact is, if that pump is working at all, oil should come through the fitting at the back of the block.

So I went back this morning and checked again for any signs of oil flow, blockages in the passage for the gage fitting, anything. Found zippo, so decided to pull the pan again for another look. The oil pump was removed again and compared to the new one I had, the drive shaft for the pump was about 7/16" shorter than the new one. Probably too short for good engagement with the distributor. So I kicked my own ass around for a bit, good thing I was alone. Put it back together, started it up and glory be, oil flow through the gage fitting. Still not a lot of press, but I absolutely know there is flow from that pump.

I started hooking the exhaust up to the manifolds. I'll need to do a little cutting and get some clamps. It sounds pretty good though. I tried out the 4wd and I thinks it's all working. The transfer case shifts, and the hub lockouts move ok, but I couldn't really feel much difference from low to high. Anyone know an easy way to check that the 4wd is working without getting stuck in the mud and watching the front tires spin?

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-12-2008 at 05:20 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote