View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Harveybacon

Question Holding my 3-speed in 3rd gear or pops out

Have been just holding third down for a couple years now. No trouble other than it progressively getting worse. Use to go 65 before would pop out, now soon as I put it in 3rd (around 35mph) when accelerating. Had reman'd tranny 6 years ago. I have been told it's just my drive shaft (bearings). I have checked my springs and forks and shifters, and all seems in order. I took it to Aamco today for free inspection, and we'll see what they say. But I am hoping that I can fix it without dropping tranny.

update-
I took it to Aamco today and he straight told me the problem was IN the tranny. And swore that I had to pay 400 bucks for him to look at it. This is not the first tranny ppl I have taken it to. Transmission mechanics are a shame. I will NEVER have anybody else do work on my tranny again (after owning a 99 Mazda and rebuilding it twice), lol.

One person on other thread said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
i think you will find a broken / lose / missing snapper on the main shaft. this is a super common problem & there is a fixit kit that can be installed from the top side after the shift top is removed. call jackson powertrain at 601 932 3159 & john will fix u up!
andy
I am not familiar with this, but I assume it is either like that, detention, bearings, OR the 2/3rd gear is worn. Any help on this would be great!