View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 02:58 AM   #2270
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

February 2016.........,,

Time flies. Had been three months since my first trip to the USA for the road trip of a lifetime for mate Martin's birthday last year.

Nicola and I were discussing holidays recently as she needs to go to Thailand for a month to visit one of her best friends of 20 years. I have been there before and loved it and have tried for three years to get her to visit her friend. To which she eventually agreed.

While chatting, she said...... "Are you going to Clem's again this year?"

I had never considered going again, as it is not a cheap undertaking, despite it being one of the most awesome things I ever did, and meeting some of the most incredible people you could wish to meet made it a trip of a lifetime.

I said no, as the money is better spent shoved into the bank in my opinion. And this immediately got Nicola's back up. Some of you may know that Nicola works in a funeral home. So her response to my declining a trip, was to say she sees too many people my age in her mortuary, with family members often saying they never did anything they dreamed of, so what is the use of being the richest guy in the graveyard ?

So I contacted Clem and found out the date of the Cruise In and requested an invitation, which he confirmed.

Looks like I am headed out again in October, there are a few people and places I need to get to while there. People I missed out on last year.

So I give you map one as an opener for my 2016 Road Trip.

Hope to land around the 7th and need to leave by the 20th October.

Looking forward to reconnecting with some great friends and meeting up with some I have not yet met.

So, you remember the 2015 Road Trip http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...chevy-roadtrip

You now know that Nicola has insisted I go on the trip again as she is off to backpack around parts of Thailand with an old friend.

Some of you on various forums are also "Friends" with me on Farcebook. Often you get random requests from the weirdest people, and in my case I have had some gorgeous girls with very short profiles but exotic pics come up wanting to be friends or people with unpronounceable names etc. Often they are just trawling, and others like former school and work friends really just want to dig around in your photo albums to see what you have been up to in your life. Never actually chatting or communicating or in one case recently asking me loan them a lot of money because they had got into trouble.
Another of my favourite pet hates is the "Like" button on various places, and you see people actually "like" a death or divorce notice WTF???? Just make the effort to write something or keep quiet. ( I may be becoming a Grumpy Old Man )

My way is to disregard most strangers but I usually look to see if we have friends in common or if their photo album shows some sort of common interest with me. And even these can be deceiving as you can suddenly get bombarded with requests to play Candy Crush or some other carp.

So in August last year before going to the U.S. with mate Martin, I had such a request and looking at the profile of the guy I saw Motorsport and trucks as a shared interest, he was also friends with my good friend Ta2Don in Arkansas and had a Chevy C10 truck. So I accepted the request.
Over time we have chatted a lot, on Messenger and on the phone and a nice friendship has developed with a guy I never even met before.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I got the new job offer and Dennis asked me if I was going to come to the U.S. In October again like last year. At that point I said it would be nice, but my budget and new job would probably not allow it as this becomes expensive once you add up all the costs, hotels, plane tickets and the rest. At that point he asked if the use of his 2009 GMC Dually below, along with a car trailer in case I found an old car stashed in a barn that needed exporting to England FREE AND FULLY INSURED would make a difference to my budget and planning............ Now he had my attention for starters.

"This is my truck and you can have it for as long as you like and drive it anywhere you want while you are over here, just fly into and out of St Louis, Missouri "

Of course I said to him that he was being very generous (I had previously let friends use cars and motorbikes like that as well in the past ) but said what if I trashed his truck along the way, it was after all a big rig with a trailer behind, should I decide to accept and take the trailer and actually find something interesting in an old barn to buy and send home. "Well, we can just fix it if you break it badly" was his casual reply, they had already dealt with one Bambi before.

I still dithered and said that it was a big truck to do quite a few thousand miles with if I went down as far as Oklahoma City and other places inbetween, because I had missed out of some people last year, Martin and I just did not have enough hours in our 16 days. To which Dennis replied with "My son and I have a bunch of cars and trucks between us that you can choose from, you could also take my 2013 Hemi Challenger if you want but it would not take as many spares and does not have a tow hitch, however you will get you there pretty quickly "

He then shot this photo of it over while we were chatting on FB Messenger.............

I KID YOU NOT....!!!!

So now I had the dilemma of choosing between the GMC Truck or a Hemi Challenger.

And I had not yet discussed this with either Nicola or Myself at this point.

When Nicola came home we chatted about her trip to Thailand and then I mentioned Dennis' offer and the discussion we had earlier the day. Saying I was not sure that it was a good idea.

This was the point where Nicola got all forceful and told me about dead men in coffins in her chapel of rest who aged in their 50's with loads of Dreams and Bucket Lists as long as your arm, never to be ticked off, she speaks to many a widow and child. We looked at all the flight options to get to Clem's Cruise In via various airports from Oklahoma City but it turned out that St Louis was actually a good option, despite the 6 hour drive that it would take to get to Fayettevile. I could do this trip and stop over via various friends along the way who I missed out seeing last year.

So it looks like I will be doing my Road Trip in a Challenger this year.......... Life can be so unfair.

I hope that I can manage to pile my Karma bucket to the brim this year because this will again be an absolute privilege to do this trip, but Karma takes her payment as and when she wants.

So now you know where the previous posting about building a 66 Chevy C10 onto a NASCAR chassis comes from as Dennis is a HotRodder who works bloody hard 7 days a week in order for him to be able to then enjoy some toys and time with his family.

So last thing to say will be a big thank you to Dennis for making this trip more attractive and affordable.

More recently Dennis has kept me interested by shooting over pics as has been keeping "my car ready"

While he builds a lot of these....

So in a week from now, I will be waking up in St Louis, Missouri.

On Saturday we will be off on a 3 hour or more, possibly a lot less......trip to the Centre of the Universe in Philo, Illinois.

To meet Thomas and Chris........
This is his Garage thread.......http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51567
Possibly the most read thread on the Internet with over 4.7 million views.

So I hope that some of you are interested in this years road trip, to ride shotgun with me in the Purple Passion Punisher Hemi Challenger.

As a last morsel for today, I will just leave the name GEORGE POTEET on here.

If you have no clue, then go GOOGLE it and see what may well be part of my 2016 Wet dream.

New 2016 Roadtrip thread here:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...riding-shotgun

I will start a separate thread on the forums I go on and just copy and paste updates on there when this kicks off.

Later guys/girls.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote