View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
airspeed247

Re: 1979 C10 SWB Build - Off To Hawaii

Wanted to troubleshoot a few things while I was waiting for my rear shock brackets and the rest of my front drop to arrive. Biggest issue next on my list was figuring out what my battery drain was and if it was a battery drain vs an issue with alternator/battery. Battery is brand new so I assumed that to be good (based off how it was acting), also the alternator tested fine and seemed to be doing well after the truck was jumped.

Biggest issue was that it would die overnight or quickly over a day or two. So I could only assume something was draining it.

To confirm I did the light test with the negative side of the battery. Pulled the negative battery cable off. Connected the test light to the disconnected negative cable and then touched the test light itself to the negative post on the battery. If something was draining power the light should turn on.
Which it did.

So I made sure everything was in fact off that I could turn off. Headlights, run switch, door lights, cabin lights, hood lights etc. Everything was off.

Then I put a multimeter on all of the fuses. At which point I realized it looked like someone added a 1980+ fuse block onto the truck because it didn't match what I've found on the diagrams for a 79'. Maybe it is and the diagrams I found had the wrong years but regardless none of the fuses showed they were pulling power. Even turned on the headlights and checked the headlight fuse to confirm I was testing it right. This sucked because if it was fuse related then it could mean some random wiring somewhere.

Looked back under the hood and started tracing wires from the battery. This is when I realized the carb choke wiring looked off. Tested the wiring it was hooked up to and it was connected to a constant 12v vs a switched and was not grounded. Disconnected it as it probably wasn't working correctly anyways wired up that way. Did the light test again. Still showed a drain.

So at this point I connected the light up and started pulling fuses one by one to see if by chance that would figure it out. First one I pulled turned the test light off. Not sure why the multimeter didn't show it drawing power but looks to be an A/C / Heater Fuse. Since that's not hooked up I'll leave it off.

Jumped the truck and drove it around to charge the battery. Showed 11.71 Volts when I turned it off last night and matched that this morning. So hopefully this did the trick.
Attached Images

airspeed247 is offline   Reply With Quote